Novodobe Fortifikace Vol.
|Armoured Fortress Torun
Wojciech Szymanski, Mariusz Wojciechowski (Poland)
Some time ago we have published articles about polygonal (Vol.
6) and fortal (Vol. 9) fortess Torun. Now we bring a final
article describing this strongest fortress of German kaiserdom on
the East. It is noticed on modernizing the fortress on the end of
19th century and begining the 20th century with main focus on forts
with armoured turrets. Germans have built here two armoured batteries
with eight turrets for howitzers calibre 150mm, fort with turret
for gun calibre 100 mm, armoured fort with four turrets for
howitzers calibre 210 mm and a battery of cannons on shielded
carriages. Though it is not of so extension as the Metz fortress,
you can find here many objects for great variety of armoured turrets
and guns, in many cases they are in a great condition too. The article
is suplied with many high quality plans and crosscuts from M. Wojciechowski
and also many photos.
An original turret for gun calibre 105 mm near
road to Poznan. It is installed on the test bunker and the
only one of this type in East Europe!
Photo by W. Nowosad.
|Molotov Line in sector Rawa Ruska.
Jerzy Sadowski (Poland)
Molotov Line is a name for fortifications made by Soviets on their
new border with Germany after 1940. There is still lack of research
on them, however they belong to fortifications of modern conception
(according to 1940's). The article targets so shortly on general
history of this type of fortifications, so describing particular
fortified sector Rawa Ruska. A brief part of the article is also
dedicated to the war stories from sector Rawa Ruska in 1941, using
bunkers by partisans afterwards and also post W.W.II fates are ment.
As a part of the article we bring great amount of high quality plans
An infantry casemate
with antitank cannon in fortified point "Nowe Brusno".
In most left embrasure is missing an armoured plate with loophole.
Photo by J. Sadowski.
|Fortifications Used in The Slovak National Revolt
Jiri Vanecek (Czech)
The Slovak National Revolt against Germans began on August 29th,
1944 and it was one of the biggest military act organized during
the W.W.II in the Germans' rear. Slovak riser's army was reacted
for a quite long time in mountain terrain. Newly built fortifications
facilitated their resistance. Until now this fortifications have
been quite unknown among bunkrologists. Author of the article has
been researching them, mainly directly in terrain.
The article notices on organizing the construction of the fortified
line, which consisted mainly from obstacles and field fortifications,
but also from small concrete pillboxes and dug-in tanks. It is suplied
by variety of plans and photos.
An pillbox for anti-tank cannon near
road on the north edge of Myto pod Dumbierom village.
Photo by J. Vanecek 2001.
|Fates of Turrets OR and RO after WWII
Martin Dubanek (Czech)
Before W.W.II there were ideas in Czechoslovakia to develop a variety
of armament for fortifications, but due to a lack of time, some
of them were realized with delay and then stored, because after
1938 maked no sense their installing on original planned places.
Among those things were also a unique rotary turret for two howitzers
calibre 100 mm and rotary turret for heavy MG type 37. Author
in his article describes post war fates of these two turrets accenting
on army plans for their next use. Last project was to build a detached
bunker in west part of Czechoslovakia and this project is also noticed
in article with plans and crosscuts. Unfortunately, at time of that
project there was lack of money for such purposes, so in 60's army
decided to scrap them.
A crosscut of the planned bunker KOR
for artillery turret RO from Czechoslovakian pre-W.W.II. fortifications.
An entrance passage mouths directly into upper floor.
Drawn by M. Dubanek 2002.
|German Test Bunker with Equipment From Czechoslovakian Fortifications
P. Taborsky, J. Vanecek, T. Fic (Czech)
There are more German bunkers in the Czech Republic than that one
described in our magazine, Vol.8. Authors of the article have found
another interesting bunker from 1940's located in active army area
Dedice and it probably served for practise. Unlikely from the described
bunker in Hradistko, this one is similar rather to ordinary German
bunkers called "panzerwerk". But it has installed no armoured
plates in embrasures or steel domes, all is made from concrete here.
Though it can be find just in inaccessible army territory, authors
think it is one from the most interesting discovery in fortifications
in Czech Republic nowadays.
A rear side of
the German test bunker in army area Dedice. You can see an
entrance and atypical embrasure for its defence. A brick house
on the top has been built after W.W.II..
Photo by J. Vanecek 2002.